Our Journey!!!

Like sand through the hourglass, so are the stories of our lives...

Sunday, November 8, 2009

If He isn't Real...

I know in my early Christian walk, I often question myself if God is real. It's quite normal to ask such questions when you're new in faith and more so typically me to be cynical and unbelieving in such things. But after so many years, I think God has won me over with the fact that He is REAL. There is just too many reasons why He is than why He isn't.

Our cozybay which we're putting up is located in an aging estate where there are more funerals under the void deck than infants in strollers. Somedays when you come home, you see an occasional old lady searching through the rubbish bin. When you place used clothings and useless items at the void deck, it disappears within the hour. Staying here has really put us in touch with the backdrop of the old and aging society in Singapore.

Last Sat, we were grabbing a quick lunch at an old hawker place amongst elderly couples conversing in dialects. As I was queuing up for food, I popped my ears in on a conversation between a group of men in their late 50s having a leisurely lunch. What amazed me was the content of their conservation.


I overheard one man telling the other men in Hokkien that he has stopped drinking because he thought it was "unbiblical".... Another one replied, citing examples from the bible, stating that Christians are allowed to drink during celebrations. He further explained that it was okay to drink, but the key is not to get drunk.

Wow! What could look like a group of men discussing 4D and TOTO numbers turned out to be a group of men discussing biblical truths! It reminded me of this verse in Joel chapter 2:

The Day of the LORD

28 "And afterward,


I will pour out my Spirit on all people.


Your sons and daughters will prophesy,


your old men will dream dreams,


your young men will see visions.
 
 
Although these men were not exactly dreaming-dreams but I felt as if these men were deep in discussion of the things of God, speaking words of truth and edification to one another. The verse in Joel was describing a change in the landscape when God starts to move. The landscape has indeed changed! I have observed, personally, that in the past decade or so, there has been more and more Christians around. Even the elder generation who used to believe that the Christian faith is one meant for the western world have also seen & tasted the goodness of Christ.
 
God must be REAL, otherwise why would more and more people from all walks of life (children, students, housewives, CEOs, celebrities...) be convinced in Him? If Christianity isn't REAL, why would the REAL GOD allow more and more people to "sink" into a "fake religion"? From all the faiths of the world, there is yet one that dared claim to be God Himself. And I do think that if Jesus dared to claim that He is God then I would have the faith to invest my life to follow in Him...
 
Well... isn't faith believing in the power you've yet seen...? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment